Tuesday 26 June 2007

Girls make pretty songs

What can be said? I've been bored today, feeling a bit under the weather, and without much sense of purpose or agency. I've taken to reading journal articles about areas of psychology and neuroscience that intrigue me, purely because I can. Athens is an excellent system that lets you read all the online journals your university/institution has subscribed to and while my subscription with Southampton is still active I may as well get the most out of it (and by that I mean get the most out of the thousands of pounds of tuition fees I've paid over 3 years!)

Anyway *ahem* I digress. Last week I made the observation that many songs written about girls are extremely good. Specifically it seems, songs which have a one word title, that of the girl. I noticed this after hearing the song 'Kate' by Ben Folds Five which features the superb lyrics

'Every day she wears the same thing, I think she smokes pot, she's everything I want, everything I'm not'

Quite simply the evidence speaks for itself:

Mp3: Kate - Ben Folds Five [info]
Mp3: Sarah - Thin Lizzy
Mp3: Brandy - Red Hot Chili Peppers (Looking Glass cover) [info]
Mp3: Aurora - Foo Fighters [info]
Mp3: Claudia - The View [info]

..Also there's this exquisite piece of acoustic finery by the acoustic guitar legend Tommy Emmanuel [info]:



Here's some more I have thought of but am not posting for whatever reason:

Layla - Eric Clapton
Velouria - Pixies
Valerie - The Zutons
Jacqueline - Franz Ferdinand
Denis - Blondie
Xanthein - Symposium

....And here's a couple of girl's name songs which contain more than one word but are still very good and worth posting while we're on the subject.

Mp3: Believe me Natalie - The Killers [info]
Mp3: Kelly watch the Stars - Air [info]

2 comments:

CTV said...

I once made myself a mix-tape of songs with girl's names in titles. Opening track was the Beautiful South's "Song For Whoever".

I don't remember many of the mix-tape tracks. "Sarah" by Thin Lizzy was one. "Alvina" by a soul dude whose name I forgot was another. I forgot to put on "Beth" by Kiss.

For Ben Folds, there's also "Gracie", for his daughter. And on that tack, one might add "Clair" by Gilbert O'Sullivan.

And if you really want to have it, I have the mp3 of "Rosanna" by Toto on my blog.

James said...

I'm not actually familiar with any of those songs, except upon listening I realise I've heard Rosanna before. That's a cool song. Thanks for the comment, I'm having some trouble attracting traffic - fancy exchanging links?